Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Health is number one!


So today was pretty interesting. I went to my Introduction to Human Evolution class and we saw a video titled Secrets of the Dead: The Syphilis Enigma.

So what is Syphilis? Well it is a STD(Sexually Transmitted Disease) that is transmitted through sexual contact. There are three stages to Syphilis,
1) The primary stage, you experience genital lesions, a.k.a. chancres. (about 21 days on average after contact)
2) The secondary stage, there will be rashes that do not itch, all over the palms and soles of your feet. (about 6-8weeks)
3) The latent stage, this is where you see many lesions all over the body.

I recommend this movie to you if you want to learn more about the origins of Syphilis.

I believe everyone should be informed about all the different STD's and STI's(Sexually Transmitted Infections) that are out there as early as possible. I think high schools in New York City at least are doing a pretty decent job informing teens about these things. When I was taking health class I learned that 1 in 3 college females have HPV(Human Papilloma Virus). It surprised me when I heard about this. Some girls do not even know they have it and of course some guys do not know that they are carriers of HPV since it does not affect them in any way.

Well I just want to inform you out there about some of these diseases that are out there, hopefully you want to learn more about these things and further research these topics.

Well thats it for now!! More next time stayed tuned!!

1 comment:

Raymond Chua said...

very informational. Hope that Suz can do more of this kind discovery channel thing!