Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My 20+ years of Musical Experience


The earliest musical memories were from pre-school. My class learned “Twinkle twinkle little star” and I just loved that song so much. I enjoyed singing that song with my classmates and it served as a way to bond with them. Nothing mattered to me at the time and all I wanted to do was play and sing.


As I grew older in my Elementary School years, I remembered how much I envied band members. I really wanted to play and learn an instrument, but I never got the chance to. However, when I was offered an opportunity to be in the chorus, I was just as excited and eager to learn all about it. It felt like a privilege to be in the chorus because we performed with the band. I recall someone announcing my name every week in the lunchroom along with my friend’s names on a speaker telling us to report to the auditorium for chorus practice. Nothing felt better to me then walking out the lunchroom and everyone starring. That feeling was unforgettable to me and it made me love chorus even more.


During High School, I finally got the chance to take a band class. At first I chose to play the Piccolo because I knew we had to carry the instrument home to practice and I wanted the smallest and lightest instrument. My teacher at the time felt starting with the Flute would be better for me because I was a beginner. In class, we began by learning how to read music and then I slowly eased into play our instruments. It was so much fun and I ended up falling in love with the beautiful sound of a flute. I began to enjoy taking my flute home to practice so I could show my parents the progress I was making. At one point I even wanted to purchase my very own flute, unfortunately, I never did. I’m glad that I at least completed a personal goal of mine by learning how to play an instrument and being a member of a band.


What songs do you remember singing as a kid?

No comments: